Saturday, April 6, 2013

Can You Say Roadtrip?

Along with Spring comes the required road trip.  And, as I'm not one to break tradition, I have embarked on my first trip of the year.  Left today for South Dakota.  On my list of things to see are the Badlands, Blackhills, Mount Rushmore and hopefully Sturgis before it gets crazy there.

My first stop is always the I80 Truckstop just into Iowa.  It is advertised as the world's largest truck stop and, as I have no way to prove otherwise, I'll accept that claim and take a closer look.


Since I visited here over 15 years ago it has changed a lot...and not necessarily for the better.  Before the people were friendly and it had a small-town atmosphere.  Not so much anymore.  It has gone the route of "big."  Now it is filled with the normal other-truck-stop stuff that costs way too much for what you get.  Before it had great food at a reasonable price.  Now the food buffet costs $12.95 and looked like death warmed over...No thank you very much.

Can you tell I didn't care much for this place?  The only good part was the fact that gas prices were actually lower than Michigan by twenty cents per gallon so I filled up and moved on.  Next stop will be North of Des Moines Iowa for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment