Monday, October 7, 2013

The Insider Story

After four very long days and some nights I've finally been able to totally carpet the inside of my stealthy-type van.  The ceiling, walls and floor are all covered with a high-grade dark grey indoor/outdoor carpeting.

Putting it up was no treat.  I tried pretty much every glue-type product on the market and nothing seemed to work.  Finally, after some consultation with a few people at Lowes I decided to try heavy duty Velcro.  AND IT WORKED...well, almost anyway.  Even though this type of carpeting is pretty light weight and easy to work with it still has a certain amount of weight that weighs down and bubbles on the ceiling and side walls.  So it was back to Lowes to buy finished strips of wood to screw up on the walls and ceiling.  This helped to support the carpeting and totally took out all of the bubbles and creases.  Now I am a happy stealth camper and look forward to many years of warmth and quiet while traveling.

Under the carpeting I also put Reflectix insulation.  This was really easy to work with and simply stuck to the walls and ceiling with Duck tape.  I can't believe how quiet my van is now while going down the road.  And, it is much much warmer than I ever imagined it would be.

Even though this was a project that was pretty simple to do (eventually) If you're going to try to do something like this I would strongly suggest that you have a friend help you.  Not that it is too heavy to hold up by yourself while installing everything, rather, it is just easier to hold in place with two people over just yourself.

In the end it looks great, smells like a new vehicle and is quiet and warm.  Really looking forward to getting back out on the road and giving it a good shakedown cruise.  I'm thinking Florida right now but perhaps there will be a stop in Alabama also to check out the sea shore there on the way.  I'll keep you all posted as I travel.

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment